Saturday, March 17, 2012

Evaluating Books: What Would Thomas Jefferson Think About This? Guidelines for Selecting Books Consistent With the Principles of America's Founders (An Uncle Eric Book) by Richard J. Maybury

Fascinating book! There are so many truths in this book I am going to need to read it again to have them sink into my head. I mean by truths, that the untruth is stuck in my head and I need to replace it with the truth! I am surprised the USA is still functioning under the Constitution after reading about how far we have strayed from so many parts of it today. Mr. Maybury uses "indicators" and "misleading terms" to help the student find out the philosophical slant of most writers of history, law, economics and literature. I love the examples he has and the suggested reading to follow up on the concepts. There is also a lot about the free market and what common wealth means.
There is a great list of books recommended for further reading. I hope to get my hands on a few of these.  Like: Whatever Happened to Penny Candy? and The Clipper Ship Strategy
This is a great book to really start a person thinking about the constitution and evaluate what they are learning in school about History and also to help them to not take everything at face value just because it has been taught in the schools for said by a politician somewhere along the way.

Whole Book


No comments: