Wednesday, May 18, 2011

To the Rescue-The Biography of Thomas S. Monson by Heidi Swinton

I finished! It took 3 months!!! It is a big book.

I highly recommend this book to ALL of my friends. I think it is the best book I have read all year! I loved to hear stories about what President Monson's life was like. Especially what he was like as a little boy. His mother really had her hands full. She also taught him by example to reach out to others and be Christlike.

It is amazing how busy he is. I don't know how he manages to serve on so many committees and do all his church callings and still have time for his family. Somehow he has done it and I bet it was hard. I like how he takes time to do his part in the community and make friends with everyone no matter if they are catholic or baptist. He is such a jolly guy I bet he was easy to get along with and be a friend too.

He also goes to a lot of funerals. More then I will ever go to in two, no six lifetimes. He really bonded with the widows in the 6th 7th ward where he grew up and later served as a Bishop. He also reaches out to those that are inactive. He invites everyone to come back and rejoices with them when they do!

He is a Scouter! He is an amazing editor, spotting the mistakes that other miss to make things look their best. He worked as a printer like his dad for many many years. He also raises birds. He especially likes pigeons.

He has traveled the world. I like the stories about his influences in Germany. East Germany in particular. The miracles that happened to lead up to the Berlin Wall coming down are amazing.

I think it is interesting that he served with so many of the 12 apostles and learned valuable things from each of them to prepare him to be a prophet someday. He served with Pres. Hinckley and they were great friends long before he was prophet. They are like a power team. Now he has Dieter Uckdorf to be his right hand man. There is nothing they can't do with that much faith and energy spreading the Gospel all over the world.

I loved this book and the testimony shared by the accounts of so many touched by one man. My testimony as grown as I have come to love and respect this humble man as now a prophet of the Lords restored church on the earth today, The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints!

I can't wait for the sequel.

Whole Book

No comments: