Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Machine of Death: A collection of stories about people who know how they will die by Ryan North, Matthew Bennardo, and David Malki !

There are very few books that I have read that are the same ones my husband reads in the last 15 years. I thought this book looked interesting when I saw him reading it and I looked it up on line. I found the book one day left at home while he was at work and read the first 2 chapters. It is one of those books that is hard to put down, clever, gripping, humorous and a bit startling.

There is this machine, all you have to do is put your finger in and it takes a tiny sample of blood. After a few seconds analyzing the sample it prints out a card with a few words on it. Usually quite ambiguous, like DRUNK, CHOKED, PEANUT, or CANCER. This is the way you will die. The machine is never wrong even if you try to commit suicide you can't. Each prediction is true, proven again and again. This machine changes the way people live, the way the government and society moves. It consumes some peoples lives as they think about it but usually the information doesn't help anyone. Everyone is going to die, knowing doesn't change that fact.

The stories are very odd and sometimes sad. I was amazed how creative all the different stories were, Most were very thought provoking. The worst part about the book is all the swearing. POTTY LANGUAGE! It reminded me of a very yucky book written about and by someone in England. It had so many bad words it was hard to concentrate on the story. Blah! So it is hard to recommend this book because of this and the promiscuity.

Broken Book, Healing Book, okay it was actually Bent too.

2 comments:

elesa said...

Good to know. yours are the kind of reviews I find most helpful. I wish books were rated, like movies are so I would have some idea what i was getting into. I had been interested in this, but I think I will pass. Thanks

Anonymous said...

i use a whiteout pen and get rid of the potty words ;) you wouldn't believe how many there were in the Devil wears Prada....