Monday, September 27, 2010

Five Minute Artisian Bread



5 minute Artisian Bread

What am I talking about? It is bread made with love.
Technical answer is: Artisan bread is exactly what its name suggests: bread that is crafted, rather than mass produced. Baked in small batches rather than on a vast assembly line, artisan bread differs from prepackaged supermarket loaves in a number of ways. Special attention to ingredients, process, and a return to the fundamentals of the age-old bread-making tradition set artisan bread apart from soft, preservative-laden commercial breads.

Whereas a store-bought loaf of mass-produced wheat bread might have nearly twenty ingredients, artisan bread will have closer to five. The basic building blocks of bread are flour, water, yeast, and salt. Sourdough is added for some breads; eggs and sugar for others.

My sister Kim thinks this is something I need to do.She has the book and extends her stay in Logan one more night so she can teach my daughter how to make it. She pulls out this humongous container for the dough and thinks it will fit in my fridge...I am just rolling my eyes.



THEN I see how easy it is and how delicious the bread tastes!!!!! I am a convert overnight. She was right! The picture above is the bread my daughter made on her third day. It could have cooked just a bit longer but it still tastes so good!

It fits in our fridge because the bottom shelf is where I keep extra bread anyway.

Each day you cut off a chunk of the dough and cook it. It only takes less then an hour. The cooking is just 25 min.

The crust is crunchy and crackly because it is cooked with a broiler pan of water under it, creating steam all around the bread. I just happen to have a stone to cook the bread on and so far so good. You can also use just a thick jellyroll pan or a cast iron pan.


I of course love it with butter and jam but it tastes good with anything you can make into a sandwich.

Now I will have to start experimenting with different seeds and nuts or dried fruit!

I am so happy to have bread! This is going to be fun! Thanks Kim!


Angel Artisian Bread- #3, see the wings. We need to work on our technique.

2 comments:

hairyshoefairy said...

Funny you posted this today. My friend told me about the book a while ago and I was finally able to pick it up the other day. I grabbed a few things at the store this morning and am giving it a try this week. Your loaf is so pretty. The more I read about it the more excited I am about trying it.

The Bec-ster said...

Annie-Oh, you are just the person to do this! My daughter made a loaf today but didn't quite get enough dough so she added a blog on top before it rose. It looked like it was flying away after we cooked it. Like wings. So we called it the Angel Artisian Bread.
I can't wait to try the one that looks like wheat in the book. You snip it with scissors after shaping it like a baguette.
Good luck, can't wait to hear how it turns out!