Monday, May 24, 2010

Catching up on Reading

I remember the really good book I read while on vacation. It is called The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. It has been made into a HBO movie. It is a whole series of detective stories that happen in Africa. It has quite a unique twist on them because they aren't your normal England or American Mysteries. It was very entertaining to read and I can't wait to find the next ones in our library.

I also finished these books:

Homestead by Rosina Lippi - It was a bit too immoral for me. There were a few interesting things about living during world war I and II in the Austrian Alps.

Homeless Bird by Gloria Whelan - This was a sad story about a little girl that was in an arranged marriage at an early age and within a few days her new husband, also very young died. She is then left homeless after her new family can't afford to support her. Takes place in India I beleive, it does have a happy ending.

I listened too a few classics on CD too:

Little Women by Alcott - theatrical version so it wasn't exactly complete but entertaining.

The Kevin Kirk Chronicles by Patricia Wiles, book #1 and #2 My Mother is a Mortician and Funeral Home Evenings. These are re-reads. Great LDS YA Fiction that makes you laugh. I loved the poor friend that never had his name said correctly. Melonhead, Melonrind, Melonseed...

Forgot I read this one:
Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz, #1)
by Brandon Sanderson


This was a silly and adventurous book about a boy that finds his quirky family after being an orphan all his life. He has powers and they do to so they can defeat the evil librarians trying to take over the world. I will never trust a librarian again, sorry.

No comments: