Friday, August 25, 2006

My Mom's a Mortician by Patricia Wiles

FUNNY, yep super funny and a must read! This is the first book in the Kevin Kirk Chronicles. The author is LDS.

So this kid has to move to a funeral home. He has to sleep in the same house as dead bodies. He misses his friends and only has one after he moves. Just so happeneds that she is the Stake Pres. daughter. While he is helping his parents run the family business the "deceased" start appearing to him and giving him advice. Of course there is also a bully at school that he has to deal with. He starts finding out about a few secrets kept from him...he finds out that his parents are Mormons! He falls in love, he gets a new older sister...and he might get to go fishing! There are a few more books in this little set so it doesn't all happen in the first book.

I don't want to give it all away but it is a really good book. It made me laugh and two parts I couldn't help but start crying, they were really really sad. I also like that Kevin likes nature and is keeping a nature log of the animals he sees in his backyard. The Armadillers (that is how the towns people say it)are funny and especially Kevin's grandparents that make jokes about running them over with the RV.

This is also a Whole and a Healing book.

1 comment:

bug girl said...

The funny thing is...I read this book already. Actually I listened to it on CD. I almost stopped when I realized it was an LDS fiction story because I thought it was going to be too cheesy. But I was working early mornings and needed something to listen to. I found that it wasn't that bad. I think I even got teary eyed at one point.