Sunday, August 13, 2006

Window Pains

I have this unsightly small window right behind my stove, but not centered behind it. It is the only window left in the house without a curtain. Every time I walk to the bathroom late at night I have to go past it. I am always imagining bad guys peeking in at me. I have tried to find something to cover it that would fit the dimensions of the window but with no luck. I can't hang a cloth curtain because it would probably catch fire being so close to the gas stove flames. It still wanted light to come through the window because the window is very dark. I didn't really want to put mini-blinds because they would be a pain to clean from cooking splatter and grease...so I remembered I had some window paints somewhere...but I hadn't seen them for a while. I didn't want to buy new ones if I already had some.

I found them! They are very user friendly. They were from the KLUTZ company. They make great kid things and crafty things. These paints are so easy and they peel right off later if you hate your picture. Or if you mess up.

So my daughter and I went on line to find a pattern to draw on the window. We looked at the stain glass sites. I finally found almost the most perfect one...it was a yellow sunflower design. I needed something simple and yellow because the curtain over the sink is also yellow and the curtain to the kids room at the opposite end of the kitchen is yellow.

We then downloaded it and printed it out. Then I drew it bigger then it was, but I am not talented to draw it big enough for the long window...so it will have to do.
Then we traced it on the window in black.


After that dried we colored it in.

It looks cool!

How about like this?














NOW what should I do with the extra space under and above the part we colored? It is about 5" by 7 ". I need a design that doesn't take away from the lovely one we already have.

3 comments:

Cindy Bean said...

Very pretty! What a fun thing to do with your daughter.

bug girl said...

Wow, what a beautiful window. You and maggie did a great job. I think you should make lots of little yellow flowers in the above and below spaces. Like polk-a-dots, only flowers.

Pam said...

You were worried about curtains catching fire...what about poor Maggie sitting there on top of the stove!