Friday, January 28, 2011

Musical for the 10 Virgins



I am having so much fun in this musical. We had our dress rehearsal last night. It was nerve racking and I didn't think I would remember my part. I tried my best and it worked out. Saturday is the performance.

I play the 7th virgin. I am a foolish virgin. I am "A Women Of Prayer". I always forget to pray. I am too busy or too tired. I know that I should pray. I know that my prayers are answered yet I still can't quite keep it a daily habit. It is really sad when I run out of oil because I am just too busy to buy some ealier and miss the wedding. I don't want this to happen in my real life. I have been trying to do better. I know that God loves me and is always there for me especially in those desperate times of need but He is also there for me with the mundane daily tasks. I need to remember to talk to Him everyday.



Some of the other Virgins have such compelling stories too. The story is based on the fictional shopkeeper that makes each women a special lamp just for them. Then each virgins story is told by how she uses her lamp for good or not. One spends all her money on a new dress for the wedding instead of extra oil. One just thinks her lamp is so pretty and she never takes it out or lights it, just sits and admires it. Kind of like not using your talents or not reading your scriptures because you don't want to wrinkle the pages of your new bible. Another sister is always compares her lamp to everyone else and wonders if their lamp is more beautiful and better then hers. Some of the wise virgins are thoughtful and helpful. They light the way for others, they are always busy and serving others but they remember to bring extra oil and are humble and prepared. One sister's lamp accidentally gets broken. She is so sad and when you think she will not make it back to the shop through a storm the shopkeeper is there to lift her up and help her. He repairs her lamp, which is like a tender heart. He forgives and loves everyone.

It has been a wonderful spiritual journey for me to reflect on my life and how I can be better. I have had so much help with my solo and my speaking parts. I have had to step out of my comfort zone and really put in an effort. I hope all goes well on Saturday. It has been fun. I can't believe I am wearing PINK! Oh well, the least of my troubles. :)

Update: Saturday morning's performance went great! Only a few misplaced words in one of my lines but I no one seemed to notice. I nailed the timing on the song and it only got really teary right at the end but everyone was crying so you couldn't blame me. I am so happy it is all over! WHEW!!!!!

No comments: