Friday, January 09, 2009

Sarah by Orsen Scott Card

This was a surprisingly good book. Of course it is fiction but the author tried to keep all the facts from the Bible in there plus give an accurate description of the time and place. Abraham and Sarah lived near Egypt, in Egypt and in the dessert near Sodom and Gomorah during one of the pharaohs reigns and during the destruction of those two greatly wicked cities. Card really got into the head of Sarah and what she was thinking all that time she was barren, couldn't have children yet the Lord had promised her seed to rule for generations after her in the land of Cannan.

The only fault I found was that Sarah was a bit too sensitive to her infertility and obsessed over it a little too much...she must have done so much more in her life that it wouldn't constantly have been on her mind every single day every minute of her life...for almost a hundred years! I think she would have come to terms with it long ago, especially with a wonderful husband like Abraham that loved her no matter what. (But then I am not infertile so I really can't say what was going through her mind...but I would think with enough faith the Lord could heal an aching heart even if it was not being able to have children.)

So I guess I will read the other two books in the series...I'm hooked!

WHOLE BOOK

3 comments:

Mellysnelly said...

I've had this book on my shelf to read for awhile...you've inspired me to actually read it!

Pam said...

Dad has Rebekah on CD's, we enjoyed listening to it, but then when we got to disk 6 or 7 it was missing so we haven't finished it. I guess I shouldn't say dad has them, because I think we still have them. If you want 'em let me know.

elesa said...

Be warned that "Rachel and Leah" is only the first half of the story. I don't think he has written the other half yet.