Friday, December 05, 2008

An Assembly Such As This (Book 1) byPamela Aidan

Fitzwilliam Darcy - Gentleman

I have wanted to read another Jane Austen but she is dead and can't write anymore. Luckily lots of writers like to pretend they know the rest of the story so this is a Pride and Prejudice rewrite but from Darcy's perspective. There are a lot of books like this out there but luckily my sister Danna found this series and recommended it.

It is really really worth reading if you are a Pride and Prejudice fan, which I am. I don't think it would make too much sense if you haven't read Jane Austen's book first. Darcy is the guy that is just weird and mostly banished from her book. But Austen's book is all from Elizabeth's perspective and her world. We don't ever hear what Darcy is doing the whole time the rest of the story takes place. In this book we can peek into his world and hear what he thinks about things. (Isn't that what every woman wants, to hear what the guy thinks?)

He has a dog, a horse and loves to spend time outside with them. He wakes up very early, he loves to read. He is a very shrewd but fair businessman. I never knew this from Austen's book. AND he is madly in love with Elizabeth by the second time he sees her but no one knows this. He won't even admit it to himself for a while and every time he comes around her it always goes wrong so she thinks he is a mean, snobbish guy and steers away from him for two thirds of Austen's book. Secretly the whole time he is struggling with himself because he wants to pursue her yet he can't stand her family and their rank in society, plus he would be a hypocrite because he just talked his friend out of marrying her sister for almost the same reasons. What a mess, what an interesting mess.

This novel is in three parts compared to Austen's one book novel. Bummer, I only checked out the first one because I didn't know it would be such a fast read. Now I am left hanging and really want to know what Darcy will do next. EVEN though I know what happens in the end already I don't know what happens from Darcy's angle.

Whole Book

2 comments:

leBolide said...

That's funny, though, to read a book written by a woman to get the man's perspective.

bug girl said...

I can't remember...did you read Darcy's Story? Lesli recommended it once to me, it wasn't a bad read. I rather enjoyed it...once I got past the first half of the story.