Saturday, October 20, 2007

a Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

This was a nice short read, okay so I skimmed the first three chapters but I read the rest of the book. It isn't very long, in fact it is an essay. Virginia Woolf wrote this book in 1929. She analysis women in fiction or women writing fiction. Did you ever wonder why there wasn't any great writers from Shakespeare's area that were female? I didn't but it was interesting to find out through the eyes of Virginia what she thought.

The thing I mostly gained from this book was that if a woman had a room of her own she could write great things, lots of great things. Throughout history she rarely had time to take a bath let alone write something down and she hardly ever had money for paper too. And it is all the fault of oppressive male dominance or something. Read the book and see what she means. She also discuses Jane Austin and the Bronte sister's works. It was quite humorous and a nice walk through history looking at women in writing.

Whole Book

3 comments:

le said...

I haven't even read your post yet, but I wanted to comment uninfluenced by your post. I hate Virginia Woolf's works, I do not enjoy reading them.

The Bec-ster said...

This was the first one I ever read. She seems to be a crazy women with depression and bipolar and was sexually abused and later was in a lesbian relationship. I'm sure her livestyle influenced her writing. She committed suicide.

Maryanne said...

I love Virginia Woolf. Her book Mrs. Dalloway is one of my all time favorites- she just has a lovely musical way of putting words together. Even her letters (there are collections of them) are beautifully written. She did live a terribly tragic life.