Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Book 51 and it is only Oct.

Well, I did it... met the goal to read 50 books this year. Now the quality might not be as good as last year but it has been fun and entertaining.

My new years resolution for this year was to read 50 books. The goal is actually there in the first place "to inspire not require". My kids have improved with their reading too.

My son has read well over 200 chapter books this year and kept track of all of them. He got a few more classics in this year then last year so I think the theory that says let them read whatever they want and they will eventually read it all, seems to be true. He will decide for himself what is worth reading without me breathing over his back telling him what he can and can't read. I still try to leave a few books out that I want him to read and sometimes he picks them up and reads.

My daughter is also well on her way to reading. At the beginning of the year she couldn't read a verse in the scriptures without getting so frustrated and crying. Now she is eager to read and try. She is getting better and there is a significantly fewer tears shed. She also got glasses which has helped.

Hooray for reading.

4 comments:

le said...

Hmm, I didn't know number 2 got glasses. What does she look like? Will she wear them during the festivities of darron's wedding hoopla. I'm assuming your talking about number 2. Is that rude to call her number 2? I mean they are all cool, no matter what order they were born in.

The Bec-ster said...

yeah #2 got glasses. She even wrote an essay about the experience. I will send you a picture. She is so silly.

bug girl said...

I think the #2 I live with needs glasses too.

I am very far behind on my 50 books goal. I think I am at 34.

kim said...

That is such a great goal! Maybe I'll have to copy you next year :)

BTW, hope its ok that I'm blog crashing--I've always wanted to pretend I'm part of the family, but you already have a Kim, so guess I'm out of luck.