Friday, August 15, 2008

Dragonsdawn by Anne McCaffrey

Yep it takes a good dragon book to get me back blogging. I love Anne McCaffrey's books. This one in chronological order for the Dragon riders of Pern series is the beginning. The very first one, how it all began, the first landing and everything from the creation of dragons to the first Thread Fall and the first dragon riders.

It was very technical and scientific and a lot of imagination. I think it helped me understand a bit more of the other books. Like I never remembered the dolphins.
Really cool. I still have a few more books to read from the series there are like over 20 but I think if I read them in Chronological order I will be able to make more sense out of it all. Not that science fiction needs to make sense all the time, just sit back and let the imagination flow!

My grandfather introduced me to these books when my sister and I went on a long educational road trip across the US. These are his favorite books and when I read them I am reminded of him. Now his son, my uncle is excited to let me borrow books from his collection. He loves these books too. So thanks to him I am reading some again and some for the first time. Thanks Uncle R!

Whole book

Chronological Order of Pern Books

In the First Pass:
Dragonsdawn
The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall

In the Second Pass:
Dragonseye

In the Third Pass:
Dragon's Kin
Dragonsblood by Todd McCaffrey (release date to be announced)

In the Sixth Pass:
Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern
Nerilka's Story

In the Ninth Pass:
Dragonflight
Dragonsong
Dragonquest
Dragonsinger (overlaps with Dragonquest)
The White Dragon
Dragondrums (overlaps with The White Dragon)
Masterharper of Pern (overlaps with all of the above and more)
Renegades of Pern
The Girl Who Heard Dragons (short story)
(also the title of an anthology of short stories, not all of which are set on Pern)
All The Weyrs of Pern
The Dolphins of Pern
The Skies of Pern

1 comment:

bug girl said...

I love those books too. Some are better than others. Not all Pern books are made equal, remember that.