Thursday, October 05, 2006

How To Be Lost by Amanda Eyre Ward

This was a very sad book. A little girl, five years old was kidnapped. Her family couldn't get their lives back together. They didn't have it together in the first place but now it really comes apart. They are all alcoholics.

The mom and oldest sister never gave up that she was still alive. The father dies, drinks himself to death. One sister blames herself so much after she gets married she tries to find closure. She is seeing a psychologist and hires a lawyer to declare her little sister dead. The oldest sister finally comes to a point in her life where she needs to do something besides just sit around and miss her sister. She was working as a waitress in a bar after she passed up a full ride to Juilliard school to play piano. So after loosing her job and her mom dies she goes on a long trip to find her in Montana. It is a wonderful story of a family pulling itself back together and learning to love again.

The book was very clever in the way it was written. There were these mysterious letters written by someone named Agnes in between the chapters about the family. And this old boy friend of the mom's kept coming up in the book. He had lost his daughter when she was swept out to sea from a beach. So you can guess what might happen. Psycho old boy friend, dead daughter, kidnapped daughter, mysterious person named Agnes, lots of drinking and disfunctional families, and a search for the lost sister = ???

The book ends happy. Yet the book ends abruptly...Which I didn't like. I kept turning the pages for more but it was simply over, THE END!

This was a BROKEN AND HEALING Book. I do not recommend it to anyone that is looking for something uplifting to read. It was a very well written book and I couldn't put it down. The story captivated the reader and you just had to know what happened next. It took 6 hours to read. I started it in the morning on Monday and took a break for life then finished it before bed that night. I read it for a book group which was Tuesday, the next day.

I'm glad I read it. I learned a lot about the world that I don't usually spend anytime thinking about. Alcoholism is an ugly vice. I really like living in my bubble. I don't think I will EVER embrace this lifestyle but it is nice to be aware of it. Drinking and swearing and sleeping around is wrong. It will always be, no matter how much the "world" embraces it, it is still wrong. There are also sick people in the world that take children that are not theirs and brainwash them never thinking about the consequences of their actions or the way it will affect other people, changing so many lives forever.

No comments: